There are many places to purchase blank board books, but I found this site to have the best deal if you plan to get more than a couple. They have four different sizes, but the small ones are best for getting started since more space can just be overwhelming.
Double Board Book Tutorial:
- Two board books with the same dimensions
- Decorative fusible fabric at least 2" wide and the height of your chosen books
- White fusible fabric or wide, clear tape (such as packing tape)
- Scrap of leather, foam, or other cushy material
- Binder clips
Note: Although this tutorial is written using fusible fabric, other sticky materials could work. Packing tape, bookbinding tape, duct tape, paper and strong glue, etc. Get creative and find something that works for your project.
Tips for drawing and coloring on your blank board book (semi-gloss finish):
- Sketch lightly in pencil before committing your idea to ink
- Use a white or gray art eraser to erase pencil marks; pink erasers tend to leave a pink residue that is hard to remove
- For colored pencils, use a darker shade than you would use on regular paper since some of the saturation is lost (e.g. red looks more orange-red)
- Permanent markers are best for maximum color saturation and brightness
- If there is a tiny printed logo or other information printed on the books, cover it up by strategically placing your drawn/decorative elements (see the copyright page and last page of my book)
- Complete all the writing/drawing/decorating in the books prior to assembling them